Bean Stuffed Zucchinis
Recipe type: Main Dish
- Bean Stuffed Zucchinis
- The ingredients:
- •6 zucchinis, I used eight ball zucchini squash, the round zucchini that is very common in Mexico
- •2 cups cooked scarlet runner beans with broth
- •2 TBSP olive oil
- •1/4 white onion, chopped
- •1 garlic clove, minced
- •4 roma tomatoes
- •1 smoked chipotle pepper
- •spices: dried rosemary, basil
- •salt and pepper to taste
- •Melting cheese, I recommend Chiuahua cheese, but you can use mozzarella.
- The how-to:
- Trim the zucchini tops and trim just enough from the bottom so they can stand upright. Cut them in half sideways.
- Scoop out some of the zucchini flesh leaving about 1/8" thick shell. Reserve the flesh.
- Pre-heat oven to 350°C (175°F).
- In a saucepan saute onion and garlic. Add the zucchini flesh you saved and cook for about 4 minutes.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and spices.
- Drain beans saving the broth for the sauce.
- Stir in the beans and turn heat off.
- Arrange zucchini shells in a baking dish or pan.
- Drizzle some olive oil, salt and pepper on the zucchinis. Stuff with the bean and zucchini mix.
- Blend tomatoes and chipotle pepper with the bean broth and pour over the zucchini. Place some cheese on top of each zucchini.
- Cover with foil and bake for about 30 minutes or until the zucchini shells are cooked.
Recipe by What's Cooking Mexico at http://whatscookingmexico.com/2012/04/16/beans-health-benefits-and-bean-stuffed-zucchinis/