Recipe type: Appetiser
- •2 cups arborio rice
- •2 TBSP butter or olive oil
- •1/2 onion, chopped
- •1 garlic clove, minced
- •6 cups chicken broth, warm
- •2 roma tomatoes
- •1/2 cup mixed chopped carrots and peas
- •12 scallops
- •2 TBSP butter
- •1 TBSP chopped epazote
- •salt and pepper to taste
- In a large skillet (preferably a cast-iron one) sautee onion in butter or olive oil. Add garlic when the onion is translucent.
- Add rice and let it fry for about 5 minutes stirring constantly.
- Add 1 cup of chicken broth and keep stirring until it consumes. Add a second cup and repeat.
- Blend roma tomatoes with the rest of the broth and add it to rice cup by cup letting them evaporate before adding the next one.
- Add the mixed veggies when adding the last cup of broth. Season to taste.
- In a frying pan melt butter and add chopped epazote. Fry the scallops for abuot 3 minutes per side, longer if they are bigger, and serve on top of the risotto.
Recipe by What's Cooking, Mexico? at http://whatscookingmexico.com/2011/02/09/mexican-risotto/