Refried Bean Tamales
Recipe type: Appetiser
- •1 kg (2 lbs) of prepared corn masa dough (see note below)
- •100 gr (3.5 oz) lard (hmm delicious, right?)
- •salt to taste
- •about 2 cups of refried beans, drained
- •avocado leaves (optional)
- •corn husks for tamales (found at your local Mexican market)
- In a large bowl mix corn masa, manteca and salt. It has to be dry enough to mold.
- Extend the resulting dough over a flat surface forming a square of about 2 cms (1/2 to 3/4") thick. You can do this in 2 batches
- Spread refried beans on top of the masa and carefully roll it.
- Cut pieces of about 12.5 cm (5 inches) wrap them in avocado leaves and then in the corn husks.
- Cook the tamales in a big steamer for about 35 minutes or until they are thoroughly cooked.
- Serve hot with pipian or any other mole.
Recipe by What's Cooking Mexico at http://whatscookingmexico.com/2010/12/09/refried-bean-tamales/