Lentil Soup and Fried Eggplant
- **Soup Ingredients:
- •½ cup chopped bacon
- •1 onion, finely chopped
- •1 large carrot, finely chopped
- •2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- •1 lb lentils
- •1 cup diced tomatoes
- •½ tsp cumin
- •2 quarts chicken or vegetable broth
- •2 cinnamon sticks
- •salt and pepper to taste
- **Eggplant Ingredients:
- •1 eggplant, peeled and cut in long slices
- •3 eggs, beaten
- •1 cup flour
- •vegetable oil
- **Soup Preparation:
- In a large pot, fry bacon until crisp.
- Add onion, carrot and celery and sauté in bacon fat until the onion turns translucent.
- Add lentils, tomatoes, cumin, chicken broth and cinnamon sticks and stir.
- Increase heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium, cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- Adjust seasoning.
- Using a blender or a stick blender puree to the desire consistency.
- Serve with fried eggplant, sour cream and chopped parsley.
- **Eggplant Preparation:
- Heat oil in a large skillet.
- Beat eggs in a large bowl.
- Place flour in a large, flat dish.
- Dip eggplant slices in egg, then in the flour and place them in hot oil.
- Fry for 3-4 minutes, or until golden brown, each side.
- Drain on paper towels.
Recipe by What's Cooking Mexico at http://whatscookingmexico.com/2008/01/31/lentil-soup-and-fried-eggplant/