Recipe type: Dessert
- **For the dough:
- •1 kg all-purpouse flour
- •2 packages dry yeast
- •3/4 cups sugar
- •1 tsp salt
- •1 TBSP vanilla extract
- •4 eggs
- •200 gr margarine
- •1 1/3 cups warm water
- •**For the chocolate coating:
- •1/2 cup margarine
- •1/2 cup sugar
- •3/4 cup flour
- •1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- •2 TBSP cocoa powder
- **For the conchas:
- •Dissolve 2 TBSP of sugar in 3/4 cups of warm water. Sprinkle the yeast over the water and let it sit for 15 minutes.
- •In a separate bowl, sift flour with the rest of the sugar and salt.
- •Mix the flour and the water with the yeast. Mix in eggs one by one, vanilla and margarine. Knead until an elastic and smooth dough is formed.
- •Let the dough double in a covered, greased bowl for 45 minutes to one hour.
- •Punch dough in the middle and form balls the size of your palm. Place on a greased baking tray and cover with a plastic sheet. Let them double in size again, about 30 minutes in warm place.
- •Cover each pastry with a circle of chocolate coating. With a sharp knife make crossing marks in the coating to form a shell patter (mine wasn't the best job, lol)
- •Bake for 30 minutes at 200°C (390°F)
- **For the chocolate coating:
- Mix all the ingredients to form a thick paste.
- Divide it into equal parts (that will depend on how many buns you end up with).
- Pat each piece into a 3" circle, approximately.
Recipe by What's Cooking Mexico at http://whatscookingmexico.com/2009/12/12/chocolate-conchas/