Chiles Rellenos in Pumpkin Sauce
Recipe type: Lunch
- •4 large poblano peppers
- •4 thick strips of panela or fresh cheese
- •4 slices of ham
- •1 tbsp olive oil
- •1/2 onion, chopped
- •2 garlic cloves, minced
- •1/2 cup dark beer (I used Bohemia)
- •2 cups pumpkin puree
- •1/2 cup evaporated milk or cream
- •1 tsp fresh sage, minced
- •1/2 tsp oregano
- •1/2 tsp basil
- •1 tsp brown sugar
- •salt and pepper to taste
- First you need to clean and seed the peppers. I could try to explain how to do this, but it is easier just to watch these videos.
- In a medium pot over medium high heat saute onion and garlic in olive oil.
- Add the beer and bring to a quick boil. Add pumpkin and mix well.
- Add evaporated milk and reduce heat to medium. Add spices and mix well.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Season to taste and simmer for 10 minutes covered.
- Stuff the clean peppers with cheese and ham. You might grill the cheese and ham before stuffing the peppers.
- Plate the peppers and pour pumpkin sauce over them. Serve immediately.
Recipe by What's Cooking Mexico at http://whatscookingmexico.com/2009/10/27/chiles-rellenos-in-pumpkin-sauce/