As I mentioned on my last post, I was on vacation last week in beautiful Puerto Vallarta, Mexico. I’ll write a couple of posts about this trip very soon. As the good food blogger that I’m trying to be I prepared a couple of recipes that I wanted to schedule to be posted automatically while I was away. However, things didn’t work out as I expected and I didn’t even have time to edit the pictures. And as much as I wanted to do it while I was on vacation, the beach, trips on boats, zip lines, mountain biking, running on the beach, and just relaxing got on the way and I decided to wait until I got back to post them.
Anyway, I think I’ve made you jealous enough, hehe. Moving on to the food. I’ve been writing about beans lately and if you remember I ran across some ayacote or scarlet runner beans that I had never seen before and I just felt in love with them Cooking beans at home can yield large amounts of them and I still had some left after these two recipes. So I decided to use them as a substitute of chicken for chilaquiles, a delicious Mexican breakfast.
- •1 chile chipotle in adobo sauce
- •2 cups diced tomato
- •1/2 onion
- •1 garlic cloves
- •1 tsp cumin
- •2 cups chicken broth
- •1 cup cooked and drained red scarlet beans
- •salt to taste
- •6-8 tortillas, cut in quarters and fried or baked at 350°F until crisp. I used white and blue corn tortillas.
- Blend peppers, tomato, onion and garlic at high speed.
- Pour the sauce in a medium sauce pan over high heat. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium and add cumin and chicken broth. Bring to a boil again, reduce the heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes. Adjust seasoning.
- Add beans to the sauce.
- Serve tortilla chips on a plate and pour some of the sauce on top. Let the tortillas absorb some of the sauce before serving.
- Serve with fried eggs, avocado and sour cream on top and enjoy!
(18) Readers Comments
January 08, 2013
October 09, 2012
June 27, 2012
June 25, 2012
June 22, 2012
June 09, 2009
November 18, 2008
December 27, 2010
May 12, 2009
December 07, 2009