Another week and another month are gone. And what’s worse is that half of another year is gone, too. Where did June go? I really don’t want to think much about this. I’ve been having such a great time and eating such amazing food down here in Mexico that I really don’t care if time’s flying by. And that’s just half of it. Some new projects have come up (one of them involving catering. I’m very excited about it!). I’ve met some great people down here and one very especial person will probably be back in my life soon. 2011 has been a good year for me and I want to celebrate it the best way I know how, with delicious food.
This dish was inspired by a picture I saw on foodgawker. It linked tot this beautiful blog post. I didn’t follow that recipe. I rather tried to recreate a traditional Mexican side dish called rajas. Rajas is not a dish by itself, but rather an ingredient. We call rajas the long strips of poblano peppers that we add to a lot of dishes. It might be a kind of salsa for tacos or a side dish. Poblano peppers are my favorite kind of peppers and I try to incorporate them in as many dishes as possible. And that’s what made this veggie skillet a great taste.
- •1 poblano pepper
- •2 TBSP olive oil
- •1/4 white onion, sliced
- •2 medium size zucchinis, sliced
- •2 medium size carrots, sliced
- •1 red bell pepper, julienned
- •1/2 cup corn kernels
- •salt and pepper to taste
- Roast and clean the poblano pepper. Deseed and cut in long thin strips. Set apart.
- Heat an iron cast skillet and add the olive oil. Saute onion until translucent.
- Add the rest of the vegetables and let them cook until they start to brown. About 13 minutes.
- Mix in the strips of poblano pepper.
- Add salt if desired and freshly ground pepper.
- Serve hot and enjoy.
- I served this with tortas de papa (potato fritters) and Mexican rice, a delicious meatless dinner.
(17) Readers Comments
October 02, 2013
January 08, 2013
October 09, 2012
June 27, 2012
June 25, 2012
July 08, 2009
June 08, 2009
November 29, 2010
December 30, 2010
March 07, 2012