It’s almost Christmas! And though this year I won’t do anything for it, I can still share with you some last minute gift and baking ideas. My mom should’ve been a pastry chef. She enjoys (no, she LOVES) baking and preparing sweet treats so much that you can see it on her face when she’s creating something new. Last week I made some rompope cookies for them and she didn’t want to be left out so she made these cookies that she called garabatos (scribbles). Apparently there is a commercial cookie that looks just like this one, but since I haven’t bought a package of cookies in this country for years, I’m really not familiar with them. But the preparation is very simple and I am pretty sure they taste a thousand times better than the commercial ones.
- **For the filling:
- •2 TBSP instant coffee
- •1 TBSP cream
- •300 gr chocolate
- **For the cookies:
- •1 cup butter at room temperature
- •2¼ cups flour
- •3/4 cup sugar
- •1 pinch of salt
- **For the drizzle:
- •1/4 cup chocolate
- In a small pan over low heat mix cream and coffee and stir constantly until it blends perfectly. Set apart.
- Melt chocolate over double boiler and when it’s perfectly melted remove from fire.
- Add the cream and mix well. The chocolate will brake and form lumps. Keep mixing until it can be worked with.
- Mix butter, flour, sugar and salt at medium high speed in a standing mixer.
- Roll out the dough over a lightly floured surface. Using a 3″ cookie cutter cut rounds of the dough and place them on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 350°F for 10 to 12 minutes and let them cool before forming the garabatos.
- Turn half of the cookies upside down and spread about 1 TBSP of the chocolate on them using a pastry bag. Place another cookie on top and press with your fingers very lightly to seal them together.
- Melt the rest of the chocolate and drizzle over the cookies. This is what gives these cookies it’s name, scribbles…
Are you ready for the holidays?
(11) Readers Comments
October 02, 2013
January 08, 2013
June 27, 2012
June 25, 2012
May 15, 2007
March 12, 2009
June 01, 2012
October 21, 2009