[donotprint]I’ve mentioned before that my favorite fruit is mangoes. So I was very happy when the National Mango Board contacted me to try different kinds of mangoes available during the year. I first received a box of mangoes marked according to their level of ripeness, which was very helpful to learn. Last week I received another shipment, but this time it was a box of delicious ataulfo mangoes. I had never had this kind before, they are very similar to manila mangoes, though. I wasn’t sure what I was going to make with them, but after watching this video of Chef Allen Susser I decided to make a salad that turned out delicious. Since Atulfo magoes are available since early April I decided to name this salad Spring Mango Salad:[/donotprint]
Spring Mango Salad
- 2 Atulfo mangoes, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, juliened
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1/4 red onion, sliced
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, cut in half
- whole romain lettuce leaves
- 1 TBSP balsamic vinegar
- 2 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- the juice of 1 lime
- sea salt
- In a large bowl mix mangoes, bell pepper, celery and tomatoes.
- In a separate bowl whisk vinegar, evoo, lime and salt.
- Pour dressing over the salad and toss very well.
- Serve salad over romaine lettuce leaves and garnish with red onion.