I sometimes get obsessed with certain foods or techniques. Lately it has been stuffed bell peppers and portobello mushrooms. I have mentioned before that for me breakfast is the most important meal of the day because:
- My parents always made me eat breakfast before school, even if that meant waking up at 5:00 am when my first class was at 7:00 am.
- The health benefits of starting your day with a delicious meal are many.
However, there are not as many ideas for breakfast as there are for lunches and dinners out there. That’s why I am always trying to come up with new things to make my breakfasts more exciting. Because, let’s face it, if your breakfast is boring, it is easier to skip it or opt for a less healthier option at the drive-thru or doughnut shop. Here I present to you these healthy and delicious bell peppers stuffed with Huevos con Chorizo.
- ½ lb Mexican chorizo
- ½ small onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 6 eggs
- ¼ cup whole milk
- ½ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- handful of fresh parsley, chopped
- 3 large bell peppers, tops cut off and seeded
- salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
- Cook chorizo in a large skillet until it starts to brown.
- Add onion and garlic and mix very well. Cook for about 3 minutes.
- In a bowl whisk eggs, milk, cheese, parsley, salt and pepper.
- Add chorizo to the bowl and mix well.
- Pour mixture in the bell peppers and place them in a shallow baking dish.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes or until the eggs are thoroughly cooked.
NOTE September 29th, 2016: What’s Cooking, Mexico? is relaunching! I’m reviewing the most visited recipes and posts and taking new pictures and adding notes. Soon there will be new posts, pictures, stories and recipes. Please stay tuned!