It’s been a couple of months since the last time I participated in the Royal Foodie Joust at The Left Over Queen Forum, one of my all time favorite food events on the blog-o-sphere. This month’s ingredients were chosen by Natasha of 5 Star Foodie and they are: Apple, Cayenne pepper and Maple syrup. These ingredients were perfect for me because all this month I am posting Mexican inspired food and the theme for this month’s Homemade challenge is Salsas. I wasn’t sure how the maple syrup would work with the rest of the ingredients in the salsa, but all my worries where gone when I tasted it. I used just enough to give it a hint of sweetness and the sweet/spicy combination worked perfectly when served over the pork chops.
- 2 golden delicious apples, cut in quarters and cored
- 2 fresh cayenne peppers, seeded
- 1 1/2 tsp maple syrup
- 1/2 onion
- handful of cilantro
- 1 – 2 TBSP apple cider vinegar
- salt to taste
- In a food processor mix apples, onion and peppers until they are finely chopped.
- Add syrup, cilantro and vinegar and pulse until all the ingredients are well mixed. Add salt to taste.
- Serve over grilled pork chops or chicken breasts and enjoy!
Remember that this month our Homemade Challenge is salsas. They are so easy to make and so versatile that you can pretty much make a salsa out of anything. Just look at this apple one. We hope you join us at the forum.
(24) Readers Comments
October 02, 2013
January 08, 2013
October 09, 2012
June 27, 2012
June 25, 2012
October 08, 2007
March 04, 2008
October 21, 2011
April 23, 2012
January 31, 2011