Here in Ohio we’ve had a very mild summer this year (and I thank the weather gods for that), but that hasn’t stopped me from enjoying all the delicious treats that this season brings with it. Some of my all time favorite summer treats are melons, watermelons, cantaloupes, muskmelons… wow! Nothing says summer refreshment like melons.
That’s why when my lovely friend Meeta of What’s for Lunch, Honey? and Hillary of Chew on That announced the theme for July Monthly Mingle was Marvelous Melons I knew I had to come up with something delicious and refreshing. Since I have been having a lot of fun with my ice cream machine the most obvious (and easiest) thing to make was ice cream. However, this time I decided to spice it up a little and fresh ginger was the best choice.
- •1 medium cantaloupe
- •1/4 cup peeled and coarsely grated gingerroot (approx)
- •4 egg whites
- •1 cup heavy cream
- •1 can evaporated milk
- •1 can sweetened condensed milk
- •1 tsp vanilla extract
- In a small pot warm up heavy cream with ginger. Stir constantly until it starts to boil.
- Transfer milk to a bowl and whisk in egg whites. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Cut cantaloupe in half. Discard seeds and refrigerate one half to use as a serving bowl.
- Blend the other half with evaporated milk, condensed milk and vanilla extract.
- Pour ginger milk through a sieve and whisk in the melon mix.
- Freeze ice cream following ice cream machine instructions.
- Serve ice cream in the half cantaloupe you saved. Garnish with fresh mint leaves and enjoy!
And speaking of ice creams, here is the roundup for July’s Homemade challenge: Ice cream. I am sorry it took me awhile to post it, but with all the activities I’ve been doing this summer time just flies by! Please visit the participants’ blogs and comment on their fabulous entries:
- Carole made Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream, she said you could use any flavor, coconut or pineapple would be good.
- Soma made Coconut, Cherry and Almond Frozen Delight.
- Aparna made Pistachio Gelato and Mango Gelato with Chocolate Chips.
- Sunita made Avocado and Honey Ice Cream.
- Meeta made Wild Blueberry Lime Coconut Ice Cream.
- A2Z Vegetarian Cuisine Summer Smart Treat Fat Free Juice and Fruit Ice Candy and Mixed Nuts Ice Cream.
The Homemade event will take a break in August because I don’t have the time right now to promote it (or the forum). This will allow me to think about what I want to do with my almost dead forum, but the event itself will come back in September either way.
Thank you everybody!
(22) Readers Comments
January 08, 2013
October 09, 2012
June 27, 2012
June 25, 2012
June 22, 2012
March 20, 2008
November 20, 2011
December 17, 2009
August 31, 2009
February 02, 2012