I am not sure if this could be called a flan ice cream, after all, what makes flan different from every other custard is the delicious caramel it is baked in. But this ice cream neither has caramel nor it’s baked before freezing. Anyway I am still calling it a flan ice cream because it was delicious and creamy like the flans my mom makes.
- •3 cups blackberries
- •1 can evaporated milk
- •4-6 0z. cream cheese (optional)
- •1 can sweetened condensed milk
- •16 0z. heavy cream
- •4 eggs
- •1 tsp vanilla extract
- •juice of one lemon
- •mint leaves for garnish
- Blend together blackberries, evaporated milk and cream cheese.
- In a medium pot warm together condensed milk and heavy cream.
- In a bowl whisk eggs slightly. Slowly whisk in the warm milk.
- Return milk to the pot and add the blackberry milk, vanilla and lemon juice.
- Heat up the mixture over low heat. Keep stirring with a heat-proof spatula scraping the bottom of the pot.
- When the mixture thickens enough to coat the spatula (around 140°F) turn off the heat and let mixture cool in the fridge no more than 4 hours to keep the berry flavor fresh.
- Follow ice cream machine directions to finish making ice cream.
I must confess that this is the first ice cream I made this year, but the wait was worth it. Now that I have experimented with custard ice creams I have a lot of ideas I want to try. We haven’t had a very hot summer here in Ohio this year (thank the gods), but that is not a problem when it comes to eating ice cream in our house. It can be -2o degrees outside and we still enjoy our frozen treats.
Don’t forget that the Homemade challenge this month is still ice cream, very suiting since July is National Ice Cream month! So visit our forum and share with us your delicious ice cream recipes.
Joy of Desserts will publish the We All Scream for Ice Cream Roundup on July 31st. Don’t forget to participate.
(26) Readers Comments
October 02, 2013
January 08, 2013
October 09, 2012
June 27, 2012
June 25, 2012
August 22, 2008
February 01, 2010
December 22, 2010
July 02, 2008
November 16, 2011