It feels like forever since the last time I got creative in the kitchen. I haven’t stopped cooking, but my menus consist lately of quick and easy dishes and many others that I have already posted on this blog. The beautiful weather we’ve had in Central Ohio in the last couple of weeks makes me want to spend more time outdoors and less in the kitchen.
But yesterday I decided to make something daring and creative, strawberry and basil risotto. This dish was inspired by last month’s ingredients of the Royal Foodie Joust. I didn’t have time to participate but the ingredients chosen by LK of Healthy Delicious, strawberries, basin and grain, intrigued me so much I decided to make something with them, anyway. I used some locally grown strawberries that I bought at the store and some of the basil from the little herb garden I started last month. That makes me even prouder of this dish.
- •2 TBSP butter
- •1/2 cup chopped onion
- •1 cup Arborio rice
- •4-6 cups chicken broth, warm
- •3/4 cup strawberries
- •1 TBSP fresh basil
- •salt and pepper to taste
- Blend strawberries and basil with 1 cup of chicken broth.
- Melt butter in a cast-iron skillet or any other heavy skillet. Add chopped onion and saute.
- Add Arborio rice and mix well with the onion. Add the strawberry mix, bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Simmer and stir constantly until the liquid is absorbed.
- When the strawberry mix is absorbed add one cup of warm chicken broth. When that cup of broth is absorbed add another cup of broth and keep stirring until it is absorbed. Repeat one more time.
- At this point the rice should be al dente. Taste and adjust seasoning. If the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is still not tender enough, add another cup of broth.
- Remove from heat and serve immediately.
¡Buen provecho!Weekend Herb Blogging hosted this week by Cheryl from Gluten Free Goodness.
(34) Readers Comments
January 08, 2013
October 09, 2012
June 27, 2012
June 25, 2012
June 22, 2012
August 22, 2008
April 20, 2010
June 24, 2011
January 04, 2011