I will never tire of saying that my favoritest food event is The Royal Foodie Joust, a brainchild of our Leftover Queen Jenn. Every month we are challenged to come up with a dish using three ingredients chosen by the previous month’s winner. This is always a lot of fun and a great way to get your creativity going. Last month’s winner was my lovely friend Nuría the author of the amazing blog Spanish Recipes (if you have never visited it go right now. I can wait ) Nuría in all her food wisdom choose three ingredients that almost every foodie loves: rice, tomatoes and bacon. I didn’t think hard for this challenge. I love rice, especially when it is Mexican rice, which is made with tomatoes. I just needed to add bacon to the equation and this is what came out:
I wasn’t sure my experiment was going to work, but when these little beauties came out of the oven I was so proud that I decided to name them after myself (LOL just kidding).
This was our dinner last night. Each little cake has vegetables from the Mexican rice) proteins from the bacon, beans and cheese, fiber and carbs from the rice and tons of flavor from the spices and pepper. One more time the Joust has ignited our imagination to create some delicious food. Just look at the entries so far and be prepared to be blown away
- ••2 cups of Mexican rice (I added 1 chipotle adobado pepper to give it some spiciness)
- ••1 cup of cooked pinto beans
- ••4 large eggs
- ••1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- ••1/2 cup cheddar cheese
- ••spices (oregano, cumin, basil, fresh parsley)
- ••salt and pepper
- ••12 slices of turkey bacon
- •Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
- •Align 1 cupcake tray (in my case 2 of these disposable ones. Can you tell I don’t make cupcakes or muffins very often?) and spray it with non-stick oil.
- •Place a bacon strip making a circle inside each cup.
- •In a large bowl mix the rest of the ingredients very well.
- •Carefully scoop some of the rice and bean mixture into each cup.
- •Bake for 30 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving. Serve with avocado slices and enjoy.
(31) Readers Comments
October 02, 2013
January 08, 2013
October 09, 2012
June 27, 2012
June 25, 2012
April 18, 2012
August 09, 2010
August 15, 2008
February 26, 2008
December 28, 2010