I have been taking it easy these past days. For me taking it easy means cleaning the house from top to bottom which translates in less time spent in front of the computer and the kitchen. That’s why I have been cooking easy and quick meals. But that is not a bad thing at all, especially now that the temperatures are climbing and our lives are filling with a lot of activities that involve getting out of the house. This year I refuse to stay home gaining weight. This is a new season for me and I’ll try to make the best of it.
Here’s a recipe that is really easy to make and can be used for so many different meals. Picadillo is usually made with ground beef and served in tacos, empanadas, quesadillas or tostadas. There are many different ways to make picadillo. I might have forgotten or change some ingredients, but I think this is very close to how my mom prepares her picadillo. The main change is that I used ground turkey instead of beef.
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely minced
- 1/2 cup chicken broth.
- 1 cup diced tomatoes or 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 chipotle adobado pepper, chopped
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup cooked potatoes, cubed (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat up oil in a large skillet and saute onions. Add ground beef and cook until brown. Add garlic and stir well.
- Add chicken broth and bring to a boil. Add tomato, peppers, oregano, cumin, bay leaves and potatoes. Bring to boil again and reduce heat to low.
- Adjust seasoning and simmer for 10 minutes or until the liquid has evaporated.
- Serve over tostadas, or as a filling for tacos, empanadas or fried quesadillas.
- Although this dish was pretty close to my mom’s picadillo as I remember it, I think the turkey gives it a different flavor. I still like my mom’s better, but this one wasn’t bad at all, just different.
(21) Readers Comments
October 02, 2013
January 08, 2013
October 09, 2012
June 27, 2012
June 25, 2012
July 11, 2008
June 03, 2009
February 03, 2012
April 26, 2008
January 20, 2009