- What's Cooking, Mexico? - http://whatscookingmexico.com -
Pastel Azteca and Avocado Dinner Rolls
Posted By Ben On April 7, 2009 @ 10:16 am In Bread and Baking,Main Dishes | 18 Comments
Chicken Pastel Azteca
- 1 chicken breast shredded
- 1 lb tomatoes
- 1 medium size onion
- 3 garlic cloves peeled
- 1-2 chipotle adobado peppers
- 16 ounces tortilla chips, you can either make your own by cutting in quarters approximately 24 corn tortillas and frying them or baking them or buy them made at the store
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 8 oz. Chihuahua cheese shredded 2 cups approx. or shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 red onion sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Blend together tomatoes, onion, garlic and adobado peppers using one cup of chicken broth.
- Pour the sauce into a sauce pan and add the rest of the chicken broth. Bring to a boil, season to taste and reduce the heat to low. Simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Place a layer of tortilla chips at the bottom of a 9”x13” baking dish using 1/2 of the tortillas.
- Add a second layer of shredded chicken, half of the shredded cheese and half of the red onion slices.
- Pour some of the tomato sauce into the pan.
- Add a final layer of tortilla chips and cheese and pour the rest of the sauce.
- Bake for 20 minutes, let it rest for 10 minutes before serving and garnish with sour cream, red onion and chopped parsley.
Avocado pull-out dinner rolls
- 1 package of dry yeast (2 1/4 tsps)
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 TBSP brown sugar
- 6 cups AP flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 avocados, mashed
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 1 egg yolk
- In a large bowl mix yeast and warm water and let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Add brown sugar and mix well. Add 3 cups of flour, one at a time, and mix well.
- Mix in salt, olive oil and avocados. Add the rest of the flour and mix until all the ingredients are blended.
- Turn dough onto a slightly floured surface and knead for about 10 minutes. Add more flour if the dough is too wet and sticky or more water if the dough is too dry.
- Form a ball and put into a greased container. Cover and let it rise until doubles in size, approximately 1 hour.
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F
- Punch the dough in the middle and fold it into itself to form a ball.
- Grease 2 round baking pans and form balls of dough of approximately 2″ and drop into the pans. Brush the top with egg yolk.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until it turns golden brown. Cool for 5 minutes before unmolding.
- You can make as many variations of these two recipes as you can imagine. I want to try a vegetarian pastel azteca soon and maybe some spicy avocado dinner rolls. Aren’t the colors of these two dishes beautiful? Your guests will be impress if you serve these easy to make and delicious food at your next get together.
Article printed from What's Cooking, Mexico?: http://whatscookingmexico.com
URL to article: http://whatscookingmexico.com/2009/04/07/pastel-azteca-and-avocado-dinner-rolls/
Copyright © 2008 What's cooking?. All rights reserved.