[donotprint]I don’t prepare many seafood dishes mainly because I am the only one in our house who loves seafood. However, I have decided to introduce the deliciousness of seafood in our household little by little. Here in the middle of nowhere… er, Ohio, it’s not easy to find seafood. Most is frozen and the places that sell it fresh are very expensive. But a seafood dish or two every other week is something I can live with and afford.
I bought these beautiful scallops on my last visit to the Mexican market and was wondering what to do with them. This was the very first time I made anything with scallops so I wanted something easy to feature it among my Lent and healthy friendly recipes. I gathered some vegetables from the fridge and a bag of tostadas from the pantry and made these sweet and spicy tostadas for dinner a couple of nights ago. With these kind of dishes I hope Jon gets the acquired taste for seafood or else he’s gonna suffer when we move to Spain or the Mexican coast :D[/donotprint]
Sweet and spicy scallop tostadas
Makes 8-10 tostadas
- 8-10 tostadas
- 1 lb scallops, cut in half
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 chipotle adobado peppers, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 small jicama
- 1 zucchini
- 6 asparagus
- 1/3 cup honey
- the juice of 1 lime
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a stainless steel skillet saute onions in olive oil until caramelized. Add chipotle adobado peppers and garlic.
- Cut vegetables in bite size pieces and add to the skillet. When the vegetables start to get tendered, add scallops honey and lime juice. Season to taste.
- Let cook for 5-6 minutes stirring constantly to bring the flavors together.
- Spoon scallops over tostadas using a slotted serving spoon and enjoy.
- Next time I will prepare this dish with white wine or some light beer and serve it with avocado slices. Other than that the flavors came together very nicely and the combination of sweet and spicy gave the scallops a different twist.
[donotprint]I am sending this recipes to the following events, please click on the badges to learn more about them: