Here’s another dish for those of you who observe Lent or just want to eat a healthier, lighter meal. Cabbage is inexpensive and abundant. It is cultivated all around the world and can be found anytime of the year. However, it is best during the late fall and winter months when it’s in season. These rolls used another inexpensive and nutritious staple ingredient, potatoes. Cabbage is not one of our favorite veggies at the What’s cooking household, but these rolls were so good that we went for seconds the night we had them.
Makes 6 rolls
- 6 cabbage leaves
- 6 ham slices *optional for a non-vegetarian, non-Lent version*
- 4 medium potatoes
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 lb queso doble crema (or any other double cream cheese with 60% cream)
- 2 poblano peppers, roasted, cleaned and chopped
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- spices (I used oregano, parsley flakes and Italian seasoning)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Boil the potatoes and garlic in water with plenty of salt. I like to keep the skins on because they are a great source of fiber.
- When the potatoes are tender drain and mash them. Add crumbled queso doble crema, milk and chopped poblano peppers. Mix well and season to taste. Set aside
- In a large skillet saute onion in olive oil. Add tomato sauce and spices and simmer for 10 minutes or until the sauce comes together and thickens. Set aside
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
- Put one ham slice (if using any) on a cabbage leaf and spoon about 1/4 cup of potato mix onto it. Roll tightly and put in a baking dish making sure the seam side faces down. Pour tomato sauce on top of the rolls. Cover with foil paper and bake for 25 minutes.
- Serve with avocado slices and enjoy!
- Next time I will submerge the leaves in boiling water before stuffing them to make it easier to work with them. Other than that there’s nothing I’d change about this recipe. It’s easy to prepare, inexpensive, healthy and the poblanos and well-seasoned sauce gave it a lot of flavor.
I am sending this recipe to the following events. Please click on the badges to learn more about them:
(17) Readers Comments
January 08, 2013
October 09, 2012
June 27, 2012
June 25, 2012
June 22, 2012
July 02, 2008
April 07, 2012
January 31, 2011
March 24, 2008
January 16, 2009