Brrrrr! It is cold today. The thermometer read -11ºF (around -23ºC) when we woke up this morning. That is cold. But I don’t mind it. Even though I like every season of the year winter is still my favorite. What’s not to love? Cold and short days to snuggle, watch movies or read a good book next to a fireplace while the snow covers the world with a white cold blanket. Oh so beautiful!
Anyway, this time of the year calls for a lot of comfort food and what is more comforting than a bowl of soup? Yesterday I made this soup with two ingredients that I have presented to you before on this blog, chayotes:
and poblano peppers:
Chayote and roasted poblano soup
Makes 4 servings
For this recipe you will need:
- 2 chayotes
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 large poblano pepper, roasted and cleaned (click here for a video on how to roast peppers)
- 1/2 onion
- fresh cilantro (optional)
- salt and pepper
- parsley flakes
- cream, green onions and queso fresco for garnish
Note: I don’t include the amounts for spices because they should be used according to taste.
Print this recipe
- Clean chayotes (click here for a video on how to prepare chayotes) and boil them in chicken broth until tender.
- Blend chayotes, poblano pepper, onion and cilantro with about 1 cup of the chicken broth until smooth.
- Return to the pot with the rest of the broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to slow, add seasoning and spices and cover.
- Simmer for 15 minutes or until the soup thickens. Stir constantly.
- Serve and garnish with cream, green onions and queso fresco.
There you have it, a spicy soup that will bring you back to life in this freezing weather.
¡Buen provecho!I am sending this recipe to the following events, please click on the badges to learn more about them.
(27) Readers Comments
October 02, 2013
January 08, 2013
October 09, 2012
June 27, 2012
June 25, 2012
November 01, 2010
April 18, 2012
November 23, 2007
August 07, 2009
October 31, 2008