[donotprint]Brrrrr! It is cold today. The thermometer read -11ºF (around -23ºC) when we woke up this morning. That is cold. But I don’t mind it. Even though I like every season of the year winter is still my favorite. What’s not to love? Cold and short days to snuggle, watch movies or read a good book next to a fireplace while the snow covers the world with a white cold blanket. Oh so beautiful!
Anyway, this time of the year calls for a lot of comfort food and what is more comforting than a bowl of soup? Yesterday I made this soup with two ingredients that I have presented to you before on this blog, chayotes:
and poblano peppers:
Chayote and roasted poblano soup
Makes 4 servings
For this recipe you will need:
- 2 chayotes
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 large poblano pepper, roasted and cleaned (click here for a video on how to roast peppers)
- 1/2 onion
- fresh cilantro (optional)
- salt and pepper
- parsley flakes
- cream, green onions and queso fresco for garnish
Note: I don’t include the amounts for spices because they should be used according to taste.
- Clean chayotes (click here for a video on how to prepare chayotes) and boil them in chicken broth until tender.
- Blend chayotes, poblano pepper, onion and cilantro with about 1 cup of the chicken broth until smooth.
- Return to the pot with the rest of the broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to slow, add seasoning and spices and cover.
- Simmer for 15 minutes or until the soup thickens. Stir constantly.
- Serve and garnish with cream, green onions and queso fresco.
There you have it, a spicy soup that will bring you back to life in this freezing weather.
[donotprint]I am sending this recipe to the following events, please click on the badges to learn more about them.