After my posts about the foods that made me gained weight and the ones that helped me to lose it I close this series of posts with this one. We’ve established that food alone doesn’t make you gain or lose weight. It is a series of small changes in your life that do the trick. So here I present to you 13 things you can do to help you to lose weight:
- Admittance. They say that admitting you have a problem is the most difficult part. I think I did well there. Just a thought. Don’t blame your body or genes. (I know there are conditions that make some people gain weight uncontrollably) Think about this. How many fat immigrants came down from boats in the past couple of centuries? Please don’t use this excuse. It is VERY lame.
- Set a realistic goal. I weigh x lbs and want to weigh y lbs by z date. When I did it I knew I wasn’t going to have a supermodel body in 3 months. I’ve read expecting that is a big mistake.
- Made a plan accordingly. This is where things start to get a little complicated and a real commitment is required.
- Talked to friends and family about your goals and plans. Don’t be embarrassed. I am pretty sure they will understand and cheer you up. If they don’t, they you need new friends and family.
- Keep a record of what and how much you are eating, how many hours you sleep and how much you exercise. If you stick to your plan then you will be able to see results after a little while.
- Sleep 7-8 hours a day. Believe it or not, this is a very important part in the battle against your love handles.
- Eat smartly. Traditional diets don’t work is because they starve you. Adam’s Fun Fitness Fridays have a lot of information about eating right. But basically your stomach has to always have something in it. Eat a big breakfast, have a snack at mid-morning, a good lunch, veggies and fruit in the middle of the afternoon and a small dinner. Eat a bowl of cereal or an apple before going to bed. I could write a whole post about this.
- Exercise regularly. Remember this post?
- Read labels. This was one of the hardest parts for me. I was afraid of reading labels, but knowing what you are eating makes a big difference.
- Move, move, move. If you are like me and work in front of a computer most of the day, take several breaks to stretch, jump the rope, dance or just walk around the office/house. This will keep you energized and in a good humor during the day.
- Stay positive. Maybe this week you didn’t see a significant improvement, that’s no reason to quit. That means you have to keep doing it. Smile at the scale because you know you are going to win this battle.
- Reward yourself. When you reach a milestone give yourself a pat in the back, buy something nice (maybe a pair of smaller new jeans?) and think this is just the beginning of a beautiful life.
- Keep doing it. When you reach your goal you will realize that you don’t wanna go back. For that you have to keep doing the things that brought you to that point. That’s another reason traditional diets don’t work. Make being healthy a habit.
There you have it. Small changes in your habits and routines that can make a BIG difference in your life. It is so rewarding that you will feel better than ever before. Trust me on this one.
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others’ comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!
(27) Readers Comments
January 08, 2013
October 09, 2012
June 27, 2012
June 25, 2012
June 22, 2012
February 10, 2009
April 07, 2012
April 24, 2012
November 19, 2007
February 15, 2012