OK, probably the title is a little harsh, but I’ll try to explain why I chose it. Last summer I was hit by a very bad depression because of many things that were happening in my life and others that had been accumulating for many years. Anyway, I turned to cooking and blogging as part of the healing process during the fall and winter. However, I wasn’t very smart balancing the different aspects of my life. I was cooking and eating too much, spending too much time in front of the computer and not enough exercising. As a consequence I gained a lot of weight. I am 6’1″ tall and at the beginning of last summer I weighed around 180-183 pounds and by the end of the winter I was almost 210 pounds. Yeah, it was BAD! I am not blaming only the food here. It was the combination of too much delicious food and not enough physical exercise. I will not stop eating these dishes. I will only do it in moderation and when possible try to make them with less fattening ingredients:
1. Pumpkin Cake with cream cheese frosting. The name says it all.
2. Pastel Azteca. I just can’t stop eating this when I make it!
3.Pumpkin enchiladas. Again, only bad when you eat too much of it!
4. Yule Log. I have a love/hate relationship with the Daring Bakers. All you DBs out there know what I’m talking about, right?
5. Impossible cake. One of my favorite cakes. The picture says it all.
6. Molletes. Sometimes comfort food is way too comfortable, especially when it is -10 degrees outside.
7. Gorditas de piloncillo. If only they weren’t fried…
8. Arroz con leche. Another one of those desserts I can’t stop eating.
9. Empanadas. I don’t think I need to say it again…
10. Mexican Chicken Lasagna. So good with all that cheese and pasta…
11. Party cake. The DB’s did it again 😉
12. Stuffed portabella mushrooms. What is wrong with this one, you might ask. I won’t use so much butter next time.
13. Tres leches cake. Another one packed with delicious calories.
There you have it, thirteen foods that made me fat, not because of the foods themselves, but because of the lack of will power. Fortunately, I saw the problem and I am trying to fix it. I have been trying to eat more balanced meals, excercise 6 times a week and I am down to 190 pounds! The battle is not still over, but at least I am feeling really good now
Are you fighting a similar battle? You can share your goals, successes and failures with us at the forum. We have a topic dedicated for that. You are not alone
The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others’ comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted!