One of the things that I love more about blogging is that I learn about new foods every day, not to mention some of the culture and costumes of the country those foods are from. I had never had spring rolls in my life before. I have seen them everywhere in the blog-o-sphere, but only until yesterday I decided to take the rice paper I bought a couple of months ago from the pantry and make them for lunch.
I must say that I have a new respect for spring rollers. I watched a couple of videos on how to roll them and I thought it was an easy task. Oh, how wrong I was. I ruined the first two sheets of rice paper I soaked. I guess I wasn’t expecting them to become so soft. I had better luck by the third one and by the last two ones I was finally getting the hang of it.
For the filling I sauteed red onions, julienned jicama, green bell peppers and added grilled chicken previously marinated in mustard. What I missed was a dipping sauce. Oh well, I am planning on making more spring rolls in the future. Even though I found the texture of the wrap a little weird. It didn’t taste bad. it’s rice paper, how much of a taste can it have? I guess I just need to get used to the texture to fully enjoy them.
- •1 chicken breast
- •1 TBSP yellow mustard
- •1 TBSP olive oil
- •1/4 red onion, sliced
- •1 small green bell pepper, deveined and sliced
- •1 small jicama, julienned – approximately 1 lb (1/2 Kg)
- •1 lime
- •2 tsp paprika or chili powder
- •salt and pepper to taste
- •6-8 rice paper sheets
- Seasoned chicken breast and spread mustard on top. Grill until done and cut in medium size cubes. Set apart.
- In a large skillet sautee onion, bell pepper and jicama for 7-9 minutes. You want the vegetables to stay crunchy.
- Add the juice of the lime, paprika and salt and pepper to taste and mix well. Let it cool down.
- Build your spring rolls. Here’s a very good video on how to do this.
- Serve cool and enjoy.
Any ideas for more spring rolls or jicama dishes?
(21) Readers Comments
January 08, 2013
October 09, 2012
June 27, 2012
June 25, 2012
June 22, 2012
November 09, 2007
May 24, 2011
January 11, 2008
August 11, 2010
November 17, 2007