Ever since the first time I made this avocado sauce for pasta I have been looking for the perfect green pasta sauce. I think my search is over (at least for this month) The other day I was debating what to make for lunch using three of my favorite ingredients: avocado, tomatillos and spinach. After throwing some ideas in the saucepan I decided to use them in a pasta dish. Without more ado I present to you this delicious green pasta dish:
- •1 lb. cooked pasta al dente
- •1 TBSP olive oil
- •2 garlic cloves, finely minced
- •1/2 onion, finely chopped
- •1 lb. ground turkey
- •1 cup chicken broth
- •1 ripe avocado, diced
- •1/2 pound tomatillos
- •1 cup spinach
- •juice of one lime
- •2-3 oz. cream cheese
- In a large sauce pan sautee garlic and onion over olive oil. Add ground turkey and cook until brown.
- In a blender mix together chicken broth, avocado, tomatillos, spinach and lime juice until well blended.
- Add pasta, sauce and cream cheese to the ground turkey and cook for 5 minutes.
- Serve hot and enjoy.
About this recipe:
- At first I wasn’t sure how this recipe was going to turn out since I don’t like to cook avocados or spinach for long periods, but cooking them just for 5 minutes with the rest of the ingredients was the perfect call.
- The tomatillos and the lime juice added a tartness to the dish that made a delicious contrast with the cream cheese and avocado.
- Maybe next time I will substitute the spinach for Poblano pepper. That would give it a very nice spicy kick.
This is my entry for Presto Pasta Nights hosted by Gay this week. If you don’t know what to make for dinner tonight, visit the roundups and I am sure you will get an idea, or two. Buen provecho! Update 07-12-08: I just found out about a food event called Original Recipes-Culinarty roundup hosted by Lore of Culinarty. And since almost all m recipes are original (meaning I make them up as I go) I think this would be a good addition to the round up. Check out her blog and if you have any original recipe you can share it with the world.