I’ve seen a lot of recipes for spinach, vegetarian, classic and many other types of lasagna rolls. So I decided to make some for last night’s dinner. However, I wanted to give my Sunday dinner a little twist and spiciness, so once again I made a little crazy combination of my two favorite cuisines, Mexican and Italian and I came out with these Mexican Lasagna Rolls. They were not perfect, though. They need a little bit more work, but at least I have a list of things I will do differently next time.
Mexican Lasagna Rolls
Makes 10 rolls
Prep time: 25-30 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Method: boiling, baking
For this recipe you will need:
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 1 tsp basil
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp Italian herbs
- 1/2 cup red wine (I was out and used white wine instead)
- salt and pepper
- 2 poblano peppers, roasted, cleaned and cut in strips
- 1 lb queso fresco or any other moist and firm cheese
- Parmesan cheese or bread crumbs (optional for topping)
- In a saucepan saute onion and garlic over olive oil until translucent.
- Add ground turkey and cook until brown.
- Add spices, tomato and wine. Reduce heat to low, cover and let cook for 10 minutes. Adjust seasoning.
- Preheat oven to 350° F (175° C)
- In the mean time start rolling your lasagna noodles. Cut queso fresco in cubes and place on one end of a noodle along with a couple of poblano strips and roll. Place them in a baking dish
- When the sauce is ready pour it over lasagna rolls, top with Parmesan cheese or bread crumbs and bake for 25 minutes.
- Serve hot and enjoy.
About this recipe:
- Althoug I liked these rolls, I will make them differently next time. Maybe I will use the poblanos with a basic sauce such a bechamel, or some other kind of creamy sauce. But I will definitely keep the poblanos in the equation.
- The queso fresco was a very nice filling for the rolls. It doesn’t melt as fast as soft cheeses and the flavor combination of pasta with it was unique.
- I would also love to make these rolls with spinach. I just love pasta and spinach together.
- This can easily be made into a vegetarian dish. Just take the ground meat out of the picture and use tofu instead of cheese.
(30) Readers Comments
October 02, 2013
January 08, 2013
October 09, 2012
June 27, 2012
June 25, 2012
March 26, 2009
September 28, 2011
July 17, 2009
November 25, 2011
February 26, 2008