I’ve seen a lot of recipes for spinach, vegetarian, classic and many other types of lasagna rolls. So I decided to make some for last night’s dinner. However, I wanted to give my Sunday dinner a little twist and spiciness, so once again I made a little crazy combination of my two favorite cuisines, Mexican and Italian and I came out with these Mexican Lasagna Rolls. They were not perfect, though. They need a little bit more work, but at least I have a list of things I will do differently next time.
Mexican Lasagna Rolls
Makes 10 rolls
Prep time: 25-30 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Method: boiling, baking
For this recipe you will need:
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3 minced garlic cloves
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 1 tsp basil
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp Italian herbs
- 1/2 cup red wine (I was out and used white wine instead)
- salt and pepper
- 2 poblano peppers, roasted, cleaned and cut in strips
- 1 lb queso fresco or any other moist and firm cheese
- Parmesan cheese or bread crumbs (optional for topping)
- In a saucepan saute onion and garlic over olive oil until translucent.
- Add ground turkey and cook until brown.
- Add spices, tomato and wine. Reduce heat to low, cover and let cook for 10 minutes. Adjust seasoning.
- Preheat oven to 350° F (175° C)
- In the mean time start rolling your lasagna noodles. Cut queso fresco in cubes and place on one end of a noodle along with a couple of poblano strips and roll. Place them in a baking dish
- When the sauce is ready pour it over lasagna rolls, top with Parmesan cheese or bread crumbs and bake for 25 minutes.
- Serve hot and enjoy.
About this recipe:
- Althoug I liked these rolls, I will make them differently next time. Maybe I will use the poblanos with a basic sauce such a bechamel, or some other kind of creamy sauce. But I will definitely keep the poblanos in the equation.
- The queso fresco was a very nice filling for the rolls. It doesn’t melt as fast as soft cheeses and the flavor combination of pasta with it was unique.
- I would also love to make these rolls with spinach. I just love pasta and spinach together.
- This can easily be made into a vegetarian dish. Just take the ground meat out of the picture and use tofu instead of cheese.