After the holidays nobody wants to spend a lot of time in the kitchen. I know I don’t, especially after cleaning my kitchen from top to bottom to make it sparkle (I have become my mother!). This is the time when I turn to comfort food to avoid getting my kitchen dirty (something that I can never seem to accomplish), and what a better way to keep things simple than making molletes, “the” Mexican comfort food by far.
Molletes are no more than bolillos (white bread) cut in half and baked with refried beans, cheese, chorizo, ham or even turkey or chicken on top. I specially like them with refried beans, chorizo and cheese. I add salsa or pico de gallo right before eating them. This dish is very popular in most Mexican chain restaurants at the price of 2 or 3 dollars for 4 bolillo halves. This is a filling, cheap and easy to make dish that will not disappoint you on one of those cold and lazy winter mornings.
- •Bolillos cut in half lengthwise, you can also use baguettes, Italian bread or even biscuits.
- •Canned refried beans.
- •Melting cheese.
- •Cooked chorizo or ham, turkey breast thin slices or any other cooked meat or veggies (leftovers work perfectly)
- •Salsa, pico de gallo or guacamole.
- Warm up oven to 300° F (150° C)
- Spread refried beans over the bread. Top with cheese and meat.
- Bake on cookie sheet for 10 minutes or until it starts to turn light brown.
- Serve with salsa and enjoy.
(21) Readers Comments
October 02, 2013
January 08, 2013
October 09, 2012
June 27, 2012
June 25, 2012
February 06, 2012
May 19, 2011
September 28, 2009
August 11, 2008
September 16, 2009