After making a pumpkin cake a couple of weeks ago, I had some pumpkin puree left that I needed to use. If you have read this blog before maybe you’ve noticed that I am a big pumpkin fan who is always trying to make new and interesting things with this delicious fruit. So I came up with the idea to make an spicy dish with it and, voila!, these pumpkin enchiladas were born. I wasn’t too sure about how they were going to turn out, but they were surprisingly tasty. Jon looked at them first like they were from another planet, but as soon as he had a bite he couldn’t stop eating them.
- •½ onion, finely chopped
- •1 cup pumpkin puree
- •2 cups chicken broth
- •1 tsp ground chipotle adobado pepper
- •½ tsp ground paprika
- •½ tsp crushed red pepper
- •½ cup sour cream
- •10 corn tortillas
- •vegetable oil
- •1 chicken breast, shredded
- •½ cup shredded melting cheese (Mexican blend, Colby, mozzarella, Chihuahua)
- In a large saucepan sauté the onion in vegetable oil.
- Add the pumpkin puree, chicken broth, paprika and peppers and cook over medium heat.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low.
- Add sour cream, cover and let it simmer for about 10 minutes stirring often.
- Add salt to taste.
- Heat in another pan about ½ inch of vegetable oil.
- Dip the edge of a tortilla in the oil. If it sizzles the oil is hot enough to fry the tortillas.
- Dip one tortilla a time for just 3 or 4 seconds per side. This will make the tortillas soft.
- Place the tortillas on a plate and let them cool just enough to handle them.
- Place some shredded chicken in the middle of the tortilla and fold.
- Do this with the rest of the tortillas placing them on the plate where they will be finally served.
- Soak them with the pumpkin sauce and top with cheese.
- Serve with rice and enjoy!
Here is the recipe for some green enchiladas if you are not sure about these pumpkin ones
(11) Readers Comments
January 08, 2013
October 09, 2012
June 27, 2012
June 25, 2012
June 22, 2012
May 14, 2008
October 05, 2010
November 28, 2007
January 24, 2008
February 19, 2010