The temperatures are finally dropping to where they are supposed to be this time of year and that means it is hot-soup season again. And what is better than a healthy, green avocado and spinach soup?
Popeye gained his strength from eating spinach, but by following his example you will be protecting yourself against many diseases like osteoporosis, heart disease, colon cancer and arthritis. From March to May, and then again from September to October, you find the freshest spinach. Perfect timing!
What about avocadoes? They can help improve your heart health. They contain folate, a water-soluble B vitamin and an important nutrient to maintain a healthy heart.
They also contain oleic acid, a monounsaturated fat that may help to lower cholesterol and they are a good source of potassium, a mineral that helps regulate blood pressure.
Very healthy, indeed.
- •1 10oz bag spinach
- •1 ripe avocado
- •2 cups of chicken broth
- •6 oz cream cheese (optional)
- •ground pepper
- •Peel and dice avocado.
- •In a pot boil 1-2 cups of water with some salt.
- •Add spinach to boiling water and cook for about 1 minute. Drain.
- •Blend together the avocado, spinach, chicken broth and cream cheese.
- •Pour in a pot and cook over medium heat for 10 minutes.
- •Add salt and ground pepper to taste.
- •Let it cool before serving and enjoy.
Another pumpkin recipe is coming up next, yay!
(5) Readers Comments
October 02, 2013
January 08, 2013
October 09, 2012
June 27, 2012
June 25, 2012
October 02, 2008
January 31, 2008
June 01, 2010
September 02, 2011
July 28, 2010